Friday 16 August 2013

Fritham Plain, Heather and Bees

Friday 16th August 2013

We had a three mile walk this afternoon across Fritham Plain in the New Forest.  We haven't been out in the Forest for a couple of weeks and in the meantime the heather has well and truly come out. There was a carpet of pink across the plain and if we stood still the only sound we could hear was buzzing bees - I thought there was a bit of a shortage of bees at the moment, well there most certainly was no shortage here today!!!
Just imagine buzzing and you're there!

We took a short detour to have a look at Green Pond, I don't know about pond, it was more like Green Dried Up, even the animals looked a bit fed up, especially the black cow in the dried up mud.  Doesn't everything look dull and dry?
Green 'Pond'

Another thing I noticed today was the Rowan trees, (are also known as Mountain Ash) which are covered in bright orange berries.  I expect to see berries at the end of September and into October so it was a surprise to see these today - I don't suppose I have noticed how early they are before (another benefit of keeping a blog).

Rowan berries.




No comments:

Post a Comment