Thursday 26 February 2015

Crow Rescue - A Good Deed Done!

Thursday 26th February 2015

There is one very happy crow flying around Swanage today.  On a visit to my mother in laws house we heard scratching and scrabbling coming from the small space (only about 8 -10" wide) between her 6ft fence and the next door neighbours conservatory.  I was dubious about checking down there, thinking it was possibly a rat, but luckily my husband is braver than me and got the ladder out to check it out.  There squeezed down at the bottom with absolutely no way of escape was a fed up looking crow -  it must have been well unhappy trapped in there!  

A plan was hatched and it was a case of dismantling the bottom of the fence and throwing down some soggy bread to the terrified one.  It seemed glad of the food and ate what was offered.  Once the bottom of the fence was free it only took a little while for the poor thing to reverse up, tempted with bread and to limbo under the small gap.  Still with a beak full of bread it came out, shook itself down and instantly flew off. On reflection I could have taken a photo of it but we were more concerned with freeing it at the time. 

I have no idea how long the crow had been trapped but I feel a good deed was done.

NB

Have just had a brisk walk along the beach at Swanage.  It may have been gloves and scarf off yesterday but it was short lived, today I could have done with both, it was really freezing in the wind!

It was cold in the wind, goodness knows what it was like standing in the sea!

No comments:

Post a Comment