Monday 23 June 2014

Houghton Near Kings Somborne

Monday 23rd June 2014

Today's 3.5 mile walk was in the scorching heat on footpaths and bridleways (part of which was the Clarendon Way)  through farmland at Houghton, south of Stockbridge.  As we left the car I had a waft of 'the smell of summer' - well it is for me anyway - a privet hedge, yum!  It reminds me of summers back when I was a child because our next door neighbours had an enormous privet hedge across the bottom of their garden. 

The smell of summer, privet flowers.

 In the village was a phone box,

you can't make a phone call from the box any more but you can

borrow a book!

The edges of the fields were full of flowers.

This explains why.

It was just soooooo hot walking along here.

Just imagine the heat!

I do love fields of cereals, we saw a few types today but I especially like the look of barley (at least I think it's barley!), the whole field looked soft and fluffy.

Scabious.


We saw lots of butterflies, a kestrel and a couple of buzzards and heard lots of small birds  as well as a fair bit of rustling in the hedgerows as things scurried away.  

After this walk today, it'll be a miracle if we don't get a tick or two, they're a true sign of summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment